Friday, March 18, 2011

Strange Dreams and Careers

I had the oddest dream last night.

For some reason two of us had been chosen to do something with the Mythbusters.  It was fun -- I forget what the project was, but it went well, and they knew from how the episode went that I had a solid science/technical background.  After the main stuff was done, we were sitting around talking, just the cast and the two one-time guests (I forget about the other guest), and their question for me was

"Ok, cover your eyes.  Why does your stuff get implemented (cuz you know it does)?" -- basically, why do your designs/ideas get used.

Moment of honesty -- "Well, they don't, really.  I'm a systems engineer.  I spend most of my time mucking about with requirements."

Tori, kind of laughing, "Wait -- you spend your time ..." and something about typing and copying text and so forth.

"Yeah, pretty much."

*sigh*  That was pretty much the end of day, anyway, but still vaguely depressing, considering that I used to have actual technical skills, when I was a lab rat in grad school.

Of course, it's not like 'lab rat' is a job description for anyone except the guy who writes 50 Model Rocket Projects for the Evil Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment